Saturday, January 16, 2010

Green Ear Salve a.k.a. Pesto

One of my favorite Sophia stories....

Green Ear Salve

I am never disappointed with anything that I make with fresh basil and this evening was no different. Preparing for dinner I pulled my recipe for pesto and to my surprise...I had no pine nuts in the house! So this recipe is a twist on my typical pesto sauce using walnuts.

Creamy Walnut Basil Pesto

2 Cups Fresh Basil
1/2 Cup Walnuts Toasted in Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1/2 - 3/4 Cups Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 Cup grated Parmesan or Asiago Cheese
3 Cloves of Garlic
1 Cup Heavy Cream
Salt and Pepper (To Taste)

Toast walnuts in a small amount of olive oil in small skillet over medium heat.

Place basil, toasted walnuts, oil, cheese and garlic in food processor or blender, and blend until well mixed and still with just a bit of texture.  Add blended contents and heavy cream into a saucepan over medium heat.  Whisk together while heating.

Serve with your favorite pasta!





No comments:

Post a Comment